About the project
Shangilia is a children’s home with an attached elementary school in a slum of Kenya’s capital Nairobi. At present, about 250 children are being cared for in the home which was founded by Kenyans in 1994. In this school young people are provided with a solid future and are supported to become socially responsible members of Kenyan society.
Training is the key to the future in Kenya. In addition, mental health and self-confidence are also important aspects taught at Shangilia. Since its founding 25 years ago, the stage has played an important role at Shangilia. The diverse creative activities on the stage and in front of an audience encourage self-confidence and social skills. The children are encouraged to develop each according to their own individual talents and possibilities. They have a roof over their heads, plenty to eat and are supported by qualified teachers and social workers.
Help to finance the empowerment of children!
Already financed: 8%
About the homestay
In Shangilia, visitors receive a look into the day-to-day activities at the school. They provide a guesthouse where you can stay and experience Kenya. Furthermore, you can use the skatepark, play football with the children or use the playground.
In your free time, Shangilia can offer tours to the Giraffe Center, the Sheldrick Elephant orphanage house in Nairobi, the Karen Blixon house or Karua forest. We will try to comply with any special request.
We offer a four or a ten-day tour to either Lake Naivasha or Massai Mara.
- Rooms: 2x single room & 1x double room
- Food & Drinks: Breakfast included, lunch or dinner extra, drinking water for sale
- Amenities: Light/Lamp, mosquito net, WiFi (You can have a mobile WIFI modem, but you have to load it by yourself)
- Leisure: Skatepark, football, playground for children. Tours to the Giraffe Center. The Sheldrick Elephant orphanage house in Nairobi. The Karen Blixon house. Karua forest. We offer a 4-day tour to the Lake Naivasha and Massai Mara as well as 10-day tour.
- Price/night: $30 per night / $42 full board