About the project
The Street Children’s Project was founded in 1994 by a Kenyan acting community and today maintains a children’s home, kindergarten and primary school up to 8th grade. Shangilia takes care of about 250 children.
Our primary task is to ensure that the education and vocational training of the children runs smoothly. The majority of the children attend a paid secondary school after successfully completing primary school. In order to get a chance on the highly competitive job market, further vocational training is indispensable. The children attend a college or university. The vocational training is also subject to a fee.
Children who come to Shangilia have usually been neglected for several years and have lived traumatized in the streets. In addition to securing their existential needs, the directors of the children’s home make sure that the children develop self-confidence and trust in their abilities, and in addition to school education they receive instructions in acting, dance, music and acrobatics.
Help to finance the empowerment of children!
Already financed: 0%
About the homestay
In Shangilia you get a good impression on the day-to-day activities. Everybody likes to reply to your questions. You can use the Skatepark, play football with the children or use the playground.
We offer tours to the Giraffe Center, the Sheldrick Elephant orphanage house in Nairobi, the Karen Blixon house or Karua forest. If you have a special request, we will try our best to make it happen.
We offer a four or a ten day tour to either Lake Naivasha or Massai Mara.
- Rooms: 2x single room & 1x double room
- Food & Drinks: Breakfast included, lunch or dinner extra, drinking water for sale
- Amenities: Light/Lamp, mosquito net, WiFi (You can have a mobile WIFI modem, but you have to load it by yourself)
- Leisure: Skatepark, football, playground for children. Tours to the Giraffe Center. The Sheldrick Elephant orphanage house in Nairobi. The Karen Blixon house. Karua forest. We offer a 4 day tour to the Lake Naivasha and Massai Mara as well as 10 days tour.
- Price/night: $30 per night / $42 full board